Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
**Be sure to check the "Photos" and "Videos" pages (immediately below, on the right) for any new additions!**



Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Lucky Number 20

Time seems to be flying by. I had my 20-week check up yesterday with my OB. I'm officially 20 weeks today -- 5 months down!

Everything is fine. My blood pressure is excellent. I've gained 17 pounds so far. So I've definitely made up for the weight loss in the first trimester. I'm right in the top end of my range for twin pregnancy weight gain at 20-weeks (they base it on your pre-pregnancy weight and your height). The bigger the better! So I'm feeling good about that :-) She listened to the heartbeats: one was 145 bpm and the other was 160 bpm. She said it's normal for them to be different and that they are both in the normal range. She also measured my belly. At 16-weeks, I was measuring the same size as a 20-week singleton. Now, at 20-weeks, I'm measuring the size of a 26-week singleton pregnancy! Whew. So I'm up 6 cm in one month and still growing... hahaha.

I've become an expert on managing my nausea. It's still there, but I have learned how to not trigger it, along with keeping up on my nausea medicine. Heartburn is getting worse of course. The edema in my legs, ankles and feet is worse. I occasionally notice it in my hands and face, but it fluctuates. Since the edema will only get worse, the nurse recommended support stockings (look out Maudie!). I don't feel the fluttering of the babies as much as before, probably because my uterus has moved up more. My nerves are still healing from my fibroid surgery last year, so I'm full of weird -- sometimes dull, sometimes painful -- sensations. All par for the course. I pulled a groin muscle during a particulary bad throw-up session about a month ago and it keeps reaggravating itself. I think the extra weight I'm carrying is the culprit. It hurts to walk, to lift my left leg, to stand up, etc. The nurse recommended one of those belly contraptions that help support your belly -- to ease some of the weight off my pelvic muscles. So we'll see if that helps.

Anywho - my next perinatology appointment is next Tuesday! Time really is flying by. I'll be able to see the girls again and see if they are growing on target. I'll also be able to ask the doctor more about the risks of the Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. So I'm eagerly awaiting that appointment. On a side note: we picked up two FREE Graco swings from one of our neighbors today. Woohoo!

4 comments:

carrie said...

Yay! Glad to hear everything is going well!! Sorry you are in some pain still (and really sorry about the edema)... but you're more than halfway there!! It's all downhill from here, and time will FLY by! :)

Jennifer said...

Oh you poor thing, I imagine the edema is so uncomfortable on top of all your other stuff. But, I love your belly! So cute. Happy to hear it's going well. Miss you!

Kathy said...

Thanks for posting, Annie! I always look forward to your updates about the girls. Do you know how big they are this time around or do you have to wait for the next perinatologist appt?

Annie said...

Yea the edema is a pain. Now I know why pregnant women waddle around hahaha. Even keeping my feet elevated, it just won't go away. I still have 3-4 months to go - yikes! We'll find out how big the babies are on Tuesday at the perinatology appointment. Hopefully they are similar in size (and growing on target). I'm excited and nervous to see them again. And they tell pregnant women NOT to stress out... riiiight.