We're having identical twin girls!
Chances of having identical twins: 4 in every 1000 births (or 1 in 250) --
we should have played the lottery!
All the ladies in the doctor's office were all a twitter about it. They said they get quite a few fraternal twins (especially with all the people doing fertility treatments now), but they very rarely get identicals.
I'm exactly 18 weeks today. The babies are currently growing very healthy and on target. One measured at 8 oz., the other at 7 oz. They were kicking and moving like crazy so the technician was glad that they have a "rewind" feature on the ultrasound machine. hahaha. Our twins are referred to as mono-chorionic (one placenta), di-amniotic (two amniotic sacs). It's very rare for identicals to share an amniotic sac as well as a placenta. And identical girls are more common than identical boys.
Just as my OB had mentioned, the perinatologist said identical twin pregnancies are even higher risk. He said that because they share one placenta, one might start getting more nutrients than the other, which obviously would not be good. So he said they monitor the pregnancy more closely to keep an eye on growth, etc. He said we'll have to see him every three weeks now -- and more frequently as we get farther into the pregnancy. Crazy!
I think Richard and I were both in shock. Richard was especially in shock about the "two girls" thing. I was more in shock about the "identical twin" thing. We need time to let it all sink in...
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Congratulations, Annie and Richard! I'm so excited for you both. Can't wait to meet your sweet little girls this summer.
Yea we still need time to let it all sink in... we're still in shock mode -- me for identicals, and richard for girls. I will say we are mutually excited they are growing right on target and looking healthy. :-)
Post a Comment