Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
**Be sure to check the "Photos" and "Videos" pages (immediately below, on the right) for any new additions!**



Friday, February 19, 2010

Shock and Awe

So I had particularly rough last night -- lots of nausea! Yuck. So anyway I was eager to get to the appointment today to see if maybe it was fibroids or intestinal issues causing my cramping, bloating -- and consequently wicked nausea.

So we get in the ultrasound room and of course I can't see the monitor. Richard can see, but he has no idea what he's looking at. The technician is looking around and starts asking me questions: have all your blood tests came back fine? Yes, I say. Hmm, you have a lot of follicles on your ovaries... did you have fertility treatments? No. (But I'm thinking, are they causing my pain?) At this point, I'm starting to get nervous. And she says well I'm seeing something a little bit different here. And now my heart is racing with fear and confusion. And she says, I'll tell you, I'm seeing a twin birth... This is where SHOCK & AWE set in! I didn't cry, I just laid there thinking I was dreaming. Richard was laughing hysterically -- his version of shock and awe. We were both dumb-founded!


I'll tell you I was looking forward to this ultrasound for health reasons, but also a bit to prove the "twin-sayers" wrong. The doctor assured me it was just one baby! Well check mate people -- you were right! So we can't tell yet if they're fraternal or identical. She said fraternal tends to be genetic because the woman releases two eggs. She said identical aren't usually genetic. But both types can be the luck of the draw. So we'll have to wait and see.


So THAT explains my excessive (and vicious) vomiting episodes. AND my cramps and constant "flutters." She said they are both extremely active: kicking and waving! WOW is all we can say. Definitely more than we can comprehend for the moment! It's going to be an interesting pregnancy going forward!


Anywho, I know you might want to see the visual proof, so here goes:


Two little heads, and each raising an arm!




Baby A (Shock!) is positioned on my left side
Baby B (Awe!) is on my right side.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness Ann. I'm blinking away tears of happiness for you two!!

carrie said...

I'm SO SO SO excited for you guys... I love that they are "shock and awe" :)

carrie said...

AND I'm so excited that Ben will have TWO cousins now to play with!! Yay!!! :) :)

Kathy said...

I like the first pic of them. Looks like they are saying "Hi Mom and Dad!"

Annie you will have to stock up on massive amounts of food if these children end up taking after their dad in their eating habits. ;-)

Unknown said...

So excited to meet these TWO special babies!!

Amy B.

Unknown said...

Two of them?? Wow! That is awesome. Hope to see you soon before they get here.

Annie said...

Thanks guys! It's finally started to sink in more now -- especially since we have a lot to do before they get here (it's amazing how fast time flies at the same time that it feels it's moving slow...).

J said...

WOW! WOW! WOW!

I love how they are already so active and waving their arms!