So I finally had my appointment with the orthopaedic doctor.
His diagnosis: Trochanteric bursitis (http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/tc/trochanteric-bursitis-topic-overview).
Which explains why I have pain while sitting, standing, walking, moving
around/picking up the kiddos. Just constant, even when sleeping. It’s, as I
knew already, a result of my pregnancies. Hormones are released when you are
pregnant that loosen the ligaments and tendons to prepare for delivery. After
pregnancy, hormones go back to normal and things tighten back up again – in my
case they tightened up wrong on the left side of my hip. So my bones are
pushing into each other causing the pain. In fact, when laying flat, my left
leg appears 1 inch longer than the other, as a result of how the iliotibial
ligament reset itself. So every time I walk/stand I’m lopsided and that leg
pushes into my hip more as a result. Of course my gluteus and lower back pain
are directly related to my body compensating for this hip issue. So anyway he
gave me a set of exercises to help loosen the muscles and stretch the ligaments
back out.
For pain management I’m stuck with Tylenol for now. I have
an appointment coming up with a GI doctor to see if I’m suffering from reflux –
so I can’t take any anti-inflammatory drugs till I get the okay. He offered me
some muscle relaxers but I really can’t afford to be dopey on a full-time work
and mom schedule, I’m already dragging at the end of an average day.
So the plus is that the pain can be improved, managed, and
even cured! Although he said he reserves the right to assess me with disc
problems. Right now, we’re just gonna work on fixing this and see if this is
the answer to all that ails me – at least back and leg-wise.
As for the diastasis recti… He concurred with the first OB –
NO abdominal workouts: no crunches, no sit-ups, nada. He said that will just
make it more pronounced and will cause disc issues. So his advice: yoga!
Woohoo! I love yoga. So I’m glad he gave me the all clear. He said yoga is good
because it’s a prolonged stretch and strengthening of the core muscles – not the
short bursts like crunches, which can cause damage. So there we go! It still
won’t ever close without surgery, but if I can have some strength return, that
would be nice.
So on to the GI doc in a week… hoping for some more good
news.
No comments:
Post a Comment